Thursday, August 28, 2008

Walls


Word: Wall
Pronunciation: \ˈwo'l \
Function: noun
Definition: a solid structure that defines and sometimes protects an area.


I am the queen of putting up walls. No, I am not a carpenter, but I still build them. Walls are built to protect, to keep what's inside inside.

I have come to the realization that there are two kinds of walls that I build.

The first wall is made out of a large piece of plywood. It is thrown up fast and easy and without any effort. The construction of this wall is provoked by sudden elements that cause it to be put into place fast. The second one is made of bricks. Brick by brick, one at a time they are put into place. This wall is built slowly. Over time it's strength is proven and it is extremely hard to knock it down. It's much harder to get through the brick wall you see, because there has been a lot of time put into the process.

I'm not saying that walls are a good thing. I'm just saying that I build them.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

And you my dear, are not alone. I also, unfortunately, have a wall built of straw. I took a long time building it, piece by piece, interweaving each strand. Yet, it only took one good gust to crumble it. I don't believe the wall will ever have to be built again, there is no need for that type of wall.

Very good post.

Ashley McWhorter said...

Building them daily.

Marlers said...

Right on Sister!! Praying for all of our walls to crumble! Missing you!

Sharla

pink is the new black said...

Kath, girl, I needed this encouragement/bond today! As I begin the school year, I am finding walls built over the summer and walls I want to build:) but am struggling to NOT lay that brick. I mean, I've already mixed the concrete, shouldn't I just go ahead? I have new roles at school and they aren't comfortable...a really good strong brick wall would make it all easier really...but then, God never promised us easy and comfortable, right? My fav quote that's on my dashboard in my car: God is more interested in your character than your comfort...ouch.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

That's kinda deep! I'm telling you...you gotta write that book.