Death. How do you explain it to a five year old?
Steve's grandfather recently passed away after years of struggling with emphysema and a more recent fight against pancreatic cancer. He was 80 years old. We know that he is with Jesus because a few months before his death he became a believer.
Thank you God for Your goodness, Your forgiveness, and Your mercy.
So, how do you explain death to a five year old?
The short version to what we said is this: We reminded Braxton of the Easter story. Remember when Jesus died on the cross? Rose again? And then went back up to heaven? Well, the Bible talks about how Jesus went to get our rooms ready. Grandpa believed that Jesus died for him and Jesus lived in Grandpa's heart. Grandpa's room is ready and he's with Jesus now. (Again, that is the short version.)
Braxton had a lot to say about that, but my favorite thing was this,
"Do you think that when I go to heaven my room can be next to Grandpa's?"
You bet kid!
Grandpa, you are loved by many and will be missed.
5 comments:
We are having the same discussings with our kiddos right now. Last Saturday my mom passed away, and we explained to Andrew that Nan had to go away b/c it was her time, but she is always with us watching over us, and playing with Jesus in Heaven. He really seemed to understand that, and talked about it for awhile. When I was telling him about my mom, he said that he thought that God was holding Nan's hand and making her better. Out of the mouth of babes!
your post made me cry...sweet photos and precious thought processes. when my maw maw went to heaven, casey was around braxton's age (or younger maybe, but we had to explain) when we finished our explanation his only reply was, "well then what is everyone crying about? she gets to meet Jesus first" *sigh*
I'm so sorry to hear this! I think you did a fantastic job explaining. Sweet pictures.
Oh Kathryn, I am sorry about Grandpa. What a great way to explain to Braxton death. And what a sweet comment he had. If I ever have to explain death to my kids...I will be doing it your way.
We are so happy they have such sweet memories of him that he wants a room next to grandpa. He will forever be in our hearts.
Post a Comment