Monday, November 19, 2007

Don't change a thing

As I was at Target this evening (without children by the way), I couldn't help but overhear a little girl talking with her momma. The mom was a gorgeous blond, very slim and trim, and was dressed to a tea. The daughter was equally cute and looked as if she was about 9 or 10 years old. I was standing nearby looking at shampoo when I heard the little girl say this:

"Mommy, I want my hair to be this color." (Pointing at one of those boxes of hair dye.)
The mommy contemplated buying the product, but decided against it.

My only thought was, "You've got to be kidding me." This sweet innocent young girl is already wanting to change her appearance and she isn't even out of elementary school. What does this say about our society? We are constantly in a whirlwind trying to become someone better than we are...or what seems to be better. The grass is always greener, right? I am equally at fault...constantly wanted to look different, have one less blemish, be a few pounds lighter, have a different hair color, etc. I wanted to tell that little girl, "No! Don't change a thing....you are beautiful and God made you in his image." I know I have my share of trials raising boys, but tonight I am thankful to have sons. To all you moms of little girls: May you know all the right words to say to point them to the Father and may those sweet angels know at an early age how wonderfully they are made!!

And to all those little (and big) girls out there....You are beautiful and God created you in his image. Don't change a thing.

4 comments:

Star Molegraaf said...

Well said! I guess I need to get that for myself before I can pass that truth to my daughters.

Carrie said...

I try hard not to use "Do I look fat in this".... around my kids. Even boys. My brother was young he told my mom he couldn't eat that b/c he might get fat. Wonder where he got that? His sisters!

Al's World said...

That is so sad, there is several upside to boys!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you did get your much needed break Monday evening. I hope you enjoyed your it.

As I see these young girls in my classroom on a daily basis (4th grade, 9-10 years old) I hear what they say to each other and how damaging it can be. I too try to tell them how beautiful they are each day. Even if it's just to notice the wild color they have on their nails that day :) At least the mother for one reason or another decided against it.