
I realized recently that we needed to revamp our discipline tactics in our home. We don't have a "problem child" and we do not need the Super Nanny to pay us a visit, but I have found myself at my wits end way too many times. My oldest son is strong-willed, easily frustrated, and likes things "his way". He is quick to correct you if you are wrong, but can't take the heat. I don't need anyone to point these qualities out to me. I live with him and he is part me, part Steve.....therefore he was in trouble from the get go. We are both strong-willed and sadly here I am admitting this to all my 10 readers...I am easily frustrated and like things "my way". :)
Our friend, who is also a psychologist, recommended the book "123 Magic" several months ago. My initial thought..."I don't need a book to tell me how to be a parent.".....I bought it this weekend and I'm on chapter 11. :)
I really can't give the book justice in writing a summary. I am not finished reading it, but what I have read so far is great! It is packed full of info. that is so easy to implement into your household. It talks about different kinds of behavior, ideas on how to handle them, counting (not how we have done it in past...it's completely different), positive reinforcement, and leaving emotions out of discipline.
I am not finished with the book, but have started using some of the strategies it recommends. I must say, IT WORKS!!! Steve hasn't read it yet, but I have been filling him in on my new found knowledge. He was amazed that Braxton cleaned his playroom and his bedroom last night without throwing a fit, needing a spanking, or going to time-out. WOW!
Braxton's comment after we said our prayers last night,
"Mommy, can you just get rid of that book. I'm good already."
Looks like our boy is catching on!
13 comments:
Oh man, Braxton says the funniest things. :) I'm glad your finding peace! Tell Steve to get to reading!
Braxton needs to do stand up!
I'm glad you found something that works for you. The only thing I HATE about counting is NO means NO. I mean, are you going to give them 3 chances not to run in the street? I'm really curious about this book... is there a difference between different type of disciplines? Like, safety issues? Do you still count? I might need to read this if it has a different way to "count".... let me know how it turns out.
3 chances to not get ran over?? Absolutely not! :) The book talks about how counting should be used for "obnoxious behavior" like whining, arguing, back talking, picking on siblings, etc. You would totally have to read the book to get the full affect. There are definitely ways to handle serious offenses that do not include counting. The author talks a lot about "stop and start" behaviors. There are things you want your child to STOP doing and there are things you want your child to START doing. Each are handled differently.
On a side note....I must add that I realize one can not live "by the book"....well, the "good book" I suppose. :) That would be the Bible for those that didn't catch on. 123 Magic is just a guide, something I found that appears to be working for us. I taught first grade for 6 years, been a mom for 4, and currently teach preschoolers.....the strategies I have read so far could benefit teachers and parents alike. I would have totally used these tactics with some of my students back in the day.
Again, just something that works for us and I recommend it to anyone in our boat. It's a fast read!
And I step off my soap box now.....
greg like this book and i think we will probably use it with ours when they get old enough. i try to count and james counts along with me:) i don't think he understands!
And if you are really interested, I just happen to have used this with Casey and Cody when they were younger with great results and so I am on an email list. Today I got an email with a 15% off savings code good through the Feb. 12th at parentmagic.com. SAVE208.
oops, sorry it is parentmagicstore.com
I will have to go get it. My girls seems easy so far in life. However, my son is my challenge. Thanks for sharing.
Kathryn, have you read the book sheperding a child's heart? I love it. I used it with some of my classroom parents (those that were believers). Anyway, I am going to hopefully use this book with Maddie... I mean if she isn't perfect. :)
Julie
just ordered it online...we are going to be doing some training here in the next few weeks! Thsnks for the tip!
Could you please get this book for Meredith! If you think you are strong willed you should meet Mere when she's on a tangent :)
Love you guys!
Braxton is hilarious. Seriously, he is going to bea little comedian when he is older. I know I say that all the time= but he is a riot. I love that he told you to throw the book away already. And your chip lady at the store made me MAD!! I wish you would have replied to her. Anyway, hope you guys are doing well. MIss you.
Braxton's comments are too funny! Thanks for sharing about the book, I'm always looking for a good parent read!
Post a Comment