We had an appointment with an ENT doctor this morning. Nash was being seen for frequent ear infections and Braxton was being seen for frequent sore throats, snoring, and the hugest tonsils ever. We walked away from the appointment with this.....
*Braxton wins the award for the largest tonsils seen today. The doctor recommended removing them soon. We are working on timing and getting him on the surgery calendar. Because of his snoring issues they want to keep him overnight. It would usually be an outpatient procedure, but of course not for us! It will also be a 2-3 week recovery time.
*The most surprising news is that Nash has some temporary hearing loss. WHAT?!? His speech is also delayed because he has been unable to hear what we are saying due to the fluid in his ears. When we speak to him it sounds like he is listening under water. The doctor recommended tubes and then we will do another hearing test to see if the tubes help. He assured us that he feels confident it is not permanent hearing loss.
Wow! What a load dropped on us today. I know both surgeries are common, but these are my babies here. Please pray for Nash's ears, his hearing, Braxton's throat, timing in scheduling the surgeries, the boys to stay well for the next few weeks before the surgeries, and for Steve and I to have peace about each procedure. We will keep you posted as we know more!
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Kathryn,
Praying for you and all of this going on with your family!
I wanted you to know that my niece, Ellie was told the same thing about her ears. She was diagnosed with hearing loss and Robin said that the DAY she got tubes...she started speaking clearer.
She also had her little boy, Luke's tonsils out when he was 2. Please feel free to email her and I know she'd love to give you some peace about both of these.
Oh, look, my sister posted exactly what I was going to say.
Luke's tonsils were the largest in Lubbock and his outpatient procedure turned into an overnight stay for us, too. (He was also the youngest tonsil patient - I love breaking records.) They told us it would take a few weeks for him to recover, but he was himself two days later.
Ellie was not even 1 when she had tubes, but the day we got them in she started babbling much more clearly. Now, she is the most eloquent little girl I have ever met (I would argue that maybe she speaks too well.)
Email me if you have any questions for a mommy who's been through it. I'll be praying for your boys.
You know we have done the tube thing. GREATEST decision we ever made. Very easy surgery. Done in 30 min. Call me. Love you!!!!!
I'm so glad you caught Nash's hearing loss early while he's still learning to talk. Amazing what can be done these days, isn't it?
ALL of you are in my prayers. Bless your hearts. Let's hope these are the first and only procedures.
so sorry for all of the news--if you need to talk call me-i know what its like to have my baby put to sleep! love you
Oh no...what a visit. I will definitely keep BA and Nash in my prayers. Know we're thinking of you guys!
awhhh...man! bummer. we will pray for you all!
Post a Comment