
I recently finished reading "The Shack" by William P. Young. I am a speedy reader, but it took me a little longer to get through this book. Not because it was hard to read, but because it's full of words I wanted to remember. I reread several parts of it along the way in hopes to retain as much as I could. I am planning on reading it again....with a highlighter next time.
I don't want to spoil the book by giving you too much information. You need to read it yourself. But I do want to share one little excerpt that is embedded in my brain.
The main character, Mack, is having a conversation with the Holy Spirit.
The Spirit says, "When something happens to you, how do you determine whether it is good or evil?" Mack thought about it for a moment and then replied, "Well, I haven't really thought about that. I guess I would say that something is good when I like it--when it makes me feel good or gives me a sense of security. Conversely, I'd call something evil that causes me pain or costs me something I want."
The conversation continues for several pages and concludes with the Spirit saying this:
"You must give up your right to decide what is good and evil on your own terms. That's a hard pill to swallow; choosing to only live in me. To do that you must know me enough to trust me and learn to rest in my inherent goodness."
Wow. Do I know Him well enough?
3 comments:
My brother is reading that book. He says that it is wonderful!!
What a great book! That was the book I read while we were on our trip for Metro! LOVED IT!! Oh my goodness!!!
hey Kathryn, this is Adam Watson. Long time no see. I was trying to get a hold of Steve for a very random favor on sort of short notice. could you have him email me at awatson@cfbc.org. Thanks. I hope ya'll are doing well. Your kids are really cute.
Post a Comment