Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just clean already!!!!

I have been trying to get Braxton to clean his playroom for 3 days now and I'm at my wits end!!! Here are a few excerpts from our conversations....

Monday before dinner: (I had been asking B. to clean his playroom all day. It's really not that messy.)
Me: Braxton if you do not clean your playroom then you will go right to bed after your bath....no playing in the tub and no story.
Braxton: That's okay Mommy. I'm really tired. I just want to go to bed anyway.

Tuesday:
Me: Braxton, you are not allowed to play your Starfall games or Webkinz until your playroom is clean.
Braxton: That's okay Mommy. I don't want to get on the computer.

Wednesday (Today):
Me: Braxton, I'm done playing around. Clean your playroom or there will be major consequences. (And yes, my son knows what a consequence is.)
Braxton: I will not clean my playroom.
Me: Then I will start taking toys away if you can't keep them clean. (Holding up a big and fierce looking dinosaur.)
Braxton: Not my dinosaurs!!!! (Whining)
Me: Then start cleaning.
Braxton: Too messy....I will not clean.

Any advice???????? HELP ME!!!!

10 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

The lady I did my student teaching for had this exact problem with her girls. She put all of their toys in garbage bags and then put them in a closet for about a week. She said that it did solve some their cleaning up issues.
How are you?

Vanessa Houk said...

You've got a pretty smart little boy on your hands!

Lindsay said...

Start taking those toys away...I like Ashley's idea!

Lorren Says... said...

I feel your pain, Kathryn. Tonight I got after Audra (and ended up hurting her feelings) because I am so tired of all her stuff everywhere! Zoi is spic and span and Audra could care less. I'm about to do the trash bag deal. That will show her! :)

Al's World said...

Start taking all the toys that are on the floor that need to be put away and put them in the bag for one day, and then take them back out and have him put them away, do this until he does. Isn't parenting a lot harder than we orginally thought???

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmm! Christmas is coming up! How about "No NEW TOYS FOR CHRISTMAS IF YOU CAN'T CLEAN UP THE OLD ONES!" Robin used to tell Cade & Cole (when they lived with us) that he was going to take their toys to the boys across the street and then start picking up some toys to take. They would start screaming, "NO,NO" and start cleaning immediately!! The important part - STAND FIRM!! (the hard part!) Miss ya'll
Julie Marler

Kathryn said...

Thanks girls! I'll give your tips a try!:) It's midnight and we still have a messy playroom....stubborn kid!

Carrie said...

You have to follow through with your threats. If you don't he will know you aren't serious.

stephanie said...

have you had that garage sale yet?

aside from getting rid of them all, unfortunately, you have to be willing to put up with the mess until you find the magic consequence that will work instead of breaking down and picking it all up yourself. the smart ones figure that out too quickly.i speak from experience on that one. i have ended up in a frenzy picking up a messy playroom one too many times and the sad thing is that only makes it worse for the next time because they know.

Lacey said...

Is it sad that I like the playrooom organized my way so I'd rather clean it?? What am I teaching my kids, huh? My neighbor takes all the toys that the kids don't put away and gets rid of them if they don't clean them up. It works for her- her boys are GREAT at cleaning up. good luck!!