Saturday, January 17, 2009

Plans and Roadblocks


I am a planner.

I have a built in need to know what's ahead of me or my insides get all twisty. I do not like being thrown for a loop. I like for things to fall into place. I like to map things out.

I. Am. A. Planner.

I don't like surprises. I like being prepared. I like knowing things in advance. I do not like the unknown. I like knowing where my path will take me. Have you caught on yet? I'm a planner.

Proverbs 16:9 says,
"In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps."


Hmmmm. Ponder that verse for a moment. What truth! Yes, I am a planner, but only God knows the path I should take.

Have you ever felt like you were cruising along just fine and then WHAM, you hit a roadblock? I sure have. I often have my plans and then something prevents them from falling into place. It frustrates me as 'all get out' that I can't see around that pesky roadblock. I often get mad because I don't know why the roadblock is there and why it can't just be moved?? Why can't I just shove it out of the way and carry on with my plan? I may not be able to see the purpose of the roadblock, but God does. He knows it's purpose. Maybe the roadblock is protecting me from danger lying ahead. Maybe it is there to point me in a different direction...somewhere better, safer, and more fulfilling. Maybe the purpose of the roadblock is to cause me to stop, look, and listen to what HE wants me to hear.

God, thank you for plans and for roadblocks. Help me to hear your purpose, to listen to your voice, and to follow the path that you set before me.

2 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

I'm getting the impression that you like to plan?? Seriously, I've had many a roadblocks in my life. I guess we'll find out in heaven why God put them there!

Meredith said...

Thank you. I have always wanted to put words down like that but never knew how. That IS my life! Thank you Kathryn!