I did not major in English in college, but I do consider myself to be pretty intelligent...don't laugh! I make grammatical errors like everyone else, but here are a few things I believe are "no-brainers"...things everyone should know.
1. Marshmallow - It is not "mellow". There is an A in the second syllable. Look on the package the next time you are in the grocery store.
2. You're and Your- If you say "You're my friend" please remember that it is a contraction. "You are my friend." Too many people use "your" and "you're" the wrong way. If you're not sure which one to use, say "you are" in your sentence and see if it makes sense.
3. Their and There - "Their" is a group of people. "There" is a place.
Okay, I could only think of three. What about you? Do you have any spelling or grammar pet peeves??? Do share. Let's make the world a little more smart! :) Even though I pointed these things out, do not expect spelling perfection from me. I will still have typos and use prepositions at the end of sentences. These are just my thoughts for the day.
A turkey is done, my blog entry is finished. :)
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Can I use the restroom? I don't know, CAN you? Grr.. haha, can you tell I'm a teacher?
OH, and you have no idea, you don't have no IDEAL!
Y'all is not ya'll!!!!
the "your/you're" and "there/their" thing makes me CRAZZZZZZYYYYY!!! also the "can I/may I" thing. i want to correct EVERYONE who gets it wrong. my latest: i can not for the life of me figure out when people started saying "i peed my pants" (yeah, you saw that on my facebook). like i said, without the preposition that says "i just peed and pants came out of my bottom". likewise, "i graduated high school" intead of 'i graduated FROM high school". this has become SO prevalent in the last few years - WHY????
A crown is something you wear on your head while a CRAYON is something you color with.
The your and you're thing is also a pet peeve. And a lot of times I notice people forgetting "your" and just put "you". For example: "Hope you like you gift."
Great post, Kathryn. Your really on to something here.
Double negatives!!!! If you've already used one negative don't use another in the same sentence! Drives me crazy!!
Also using the wrong verb tense!. I had some red neck parents where I taught!
Here's a couple:
It's stands for it is and its is possesive ( like Its wings are blue)
When you have a word that ends in s and you want to make it plural, the apostrophe goes at the end, like, Mrs. Stephens' class, not Mrs. Stephen's class. I am not Mrs. Stephen :)
I think the one from Al's world brings up another. Christmas cards addressed to "THE RYAN'S" the Ryan's what? house? I think they mean to say THE RYANS plural. As in the card is for the whole family. Am I right? And on the their/there thing don't forget the misuse of they're. (just as you pointed out, can you substitute they are?) It is especially maddening during a worship service, is it not? How petty, I know.
Man, if I had the time, you could really get me rolling here....
A lot is two words not alot. I see it all the time!
Don't read my blog...I'm scared of all the grammatical errors I probably make. I am more math/science minded.
I get the hebie-jeebies when someone misuses "literally". I had a friend say, "I was literally stuck between a rock and a hard place."
All I could think was, 'Hm, how awkward. Did a rock fall on you? How long were you stuck?'
i said it once, i'll say it again....you and i are frighteningly similar in the way we think Kathryn!! i love you're blog, this post especially....your so right!!!
Post a Comment